New York City Souvenirs for the Holidays
I know it feels SUPER early to be talking about New York City souvenirs for the holidays, but it has to be done. Plus, I know you made a promise to yourself that THIS YEAR you would start your shopping early. And yet, you haven’t done a thing. Totally get it because I have been there. I mean, it’s hard buying things for relatives that you see like once a year. You don’t know them that well and save your shopping tip the last possible moment, and then you find yourself dashing through the mall, participating in impromptu American Gladiator challenges to try and procure the very last electronic poker player for your dear old, Aunt Millie. Wait is she still around? Or did she get run over by a reindeer? I kid, I kid,
Now I have good and bad news for you. The good news is that I can totally help you out a provide you with an epic list of NYC souvenirs that you can give to all your loony relatives. The bad news is that I can’t do all the holiday shopping for you. But I mean come on, if you have to holiday shop, that what better place to do it then in New York City, looking for a multitude of New York souvenirs.
But I guess the $25,000 question that is looming in the air is, “What are the best souvenirs from NYC?” After all, the Big Apple is well…BIG!! There are a lot of stores and when you’re on vacation and in the midst of the holiday rush, you don’t have that much time or sanity to waste. Yes, you want to buy New York memorabilia that will make your parents choose you as their favorite kid, but you don’t want to have to do a Forest Gump caliber run all across the city. Sure, it was a great movie, but no one wants that mangy beard in real life, except maybe the hipsters in Brooklyn! Kidding, I wish I was that hip. Anyway, now that I’m done offending people, back to more New York souvenirs talk.
Like with any monumental task (I know the struggle. Shopping in New York City is hard work), you need a plan of attack, to increase your shopping efficiency. You’re probably like, “Plan of attack? What is she talking about? I just want a Coach purse!” Well, what I mean is that you need a shopping list! You know, kind of like when you go to the grocery store. You create a list so that you don’t forget anything or buy things you don’t need (a la Dory from Finding Nemo. You know, she sees something shiny and just has to have it and then (spoiler alert) it’s a giant scary fish. Yeah, that’s cute in a movie but not when buying the best New York Souvenirs) And that’s what this list is about. It’s basically here to make your life easier so that you can actually enjoy the holidays, and not want to throat punch the lady who just stole the last pair of Christmas socks that you were totally gonna give to your Uncle Larry with the blue hair and musty smell. On second thought maybe it’s a good thing someone got those socks because this list of New York gifts is way better (hopefully) than any lame ass socks.
Ultimate Holiday List: What to Buy in New York Souvenirs
Okay, so while we all love magnets and those little shot glasses that say, “1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, floor”, maybe its time to step up our shopping game to the next level. And while I’m not dissing those vintage spoons and thimbles that adorn NYC souvenir shops, maybe its time to stand out a bit and embrace the consumer whore within. Dare to be different and give your family something that will make up for the fact that you haven’t been home in like 5 years (Sorry guys, but I left you an intricate text message with the finest assortment of emojis that apple can find. I even put a sobbing face to represent the depth of my despair).
1. I “Heart” NY Shirt ( I don’t want to ruin my street cred with my audience but I may or may not have one of these at home. Is it cheesy as as hell? Yup. But who wants a little New York pizza without a little cheese? )
2. Candy from Dylan’s Candy Bar (Locations: 1011 3rd Avenue and 33 Union Square West. Hours: Monday through Thursday: 10am – 9pm, Friday and Saturday: 10am – 11pm and Sunday 11am – 9pm) FYI I prefer Lindt or Godiva Chocolate but this list isn’t about me.
3. New York Police Department (NYPD) Memorabilia (This one makes sense since the NYPD is pretty badass. Actually, I’m biased because my brother is a Sergeant but even if he wasn’t, the heroics these guys demonstrated during 9/11 is something we will all never forget. And what better way to honor them then by getting NYPD memorabilia? Okay, you could probably honor them in better ways but whatever. The logo is still badass. )
4. Michael Kors Bag/Coach Purse (This one os for all the guys out there. Dude, if you’re in the dog house with your girl, get her one of these bags. Why? Because a girl can never have too many bags and a bag will never make you feel fat. But don’t pick it out. Find a friendly female to do that for you. Sorry, but your taste probably sucks). Except me. If you want to buy me something, I’ll gladly accept plane tickets.
6. Tiffany’s (And I said, “what about breakfast at Tiffany’s?”). Okay, I am not a huge jewelry fan and would happily sell a Tiffany’s bracelet to go on vacation but whatever. This store is a New York icon and if it’s good enough for Audrey Hepburn then it can’t be that bad.
7. Victoria’s Secret (They have the best underwear and their push up bras make my boobs look so good. Okay, I’ll stop now. TMI but legit, this is a great store and I’ve heard that it’s much cheaper in the US than it is in Europe so it’s a great excuse to stock up).
8. UGGS. I love my UGGS. They keep my feet warm and toasty in the winter but just be warned that they aren’t really meant for deep snow. They just won’t keep your feet dry. Plus the salt that is used to melt the snow will ruin the exterior of the boot. And at prices like this, you want to keep them for awhile (for real snow boots I bought a pari from Sorel).
9. Cartier. I have nothing to say because I am not a jewelry person and i don’t think that I’ve ever actually been in a Cartier. But my friends tell me they come here to shop at this store so if this is your thing, go for it.
Holy hannah batman, Cartier is expensive. I was gonna put a link to a watch on here but it cost over $2,000. I think I live under a rock because this was a HUGE surprise to me. But I bet you aren’t shocked so continue as you were (if you’re wondering though, that’t the reason why I put up the perfume. The other stuff was just CRAZY expensive).
10. Macy’s Memorabilia. Okay, this is another one that I really don’t get. I mean, I have a Macy’s right down the street so maybe that’s why I don’t see it as a big deal because I guess when you grow up watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade, the Macy’s becomes an iconic New York City attraction. So why not show your love for NYC with a little a self made, Macy’s swag bag
11. Pandora. I said it before and I’ll say it again. I know nothing about jewelry so this one comes from my friends who all say that a Pandora, New York City charm is a must buy for your charm bracelet. Yeah, the only charms I know about are lucky charms so rock out and swipe that MasterCard is this is your thing.
12. Turtle Dove Christmas Ornaments from Home Alone 2 (Purchase at the Christmas Cottage on 871 7th Avenue). So remember that scene in Home Alone 2 where Macaulay Culkin (totally had to look up the spelling on that one) gives that crazy pigeon lady a turtle dove ornament to signalize friendship and the eternal goodness of the human psyche? Yeah, I don’t really remember it either. But the movie was set in New York City so a lot of people go coo coo crazy for these ornaments.
13. Little Brown Bag from Bloomingdale’s. I never understood why Bloomingdale’s was a big deal. I went there once and thought that everything was super expensive. But then again, I might shop there if I wasn’t so financially challenged. So if Bloomingdale’s is your jam then no judgement here. Buys something you like and then you can get that sweet “Little Brown Bag”.
14. Sephora (E.L.F. Store on 741 Broadway is cheaper with most items being $3. Hours: Monday-Saturday: 10am – 9pm and Sunday: 11am – 7pm). This makeup store is the best. I mean I don’t normally where makeup at all butBenefit is sold there and has these great makeup kits that are pretty much idiot proof and taylor made for people like me.
15. Yankee’s Hat! So I know there are two baseball teams in New York City, but come on. Most people outside of New York aren’t really Mets fans. Plus, I bet that if you asked most people to name a New York baseball team, they’d probably say the New York Yankees (I mean not that I am a biased New York Yankees fan or anything). But whoever you root for, nothing say New York swag like a New York Yankees hat. Expensive? Yup, but totally worth it.
16. Broadway Playbill. Yeah, this one you can’t really take with you. You just have to remember to take the playbill with you after you see one of the many Broadway Shows in New York City.
We All Have to Eat so Might as well make it something Good!
***New York Food must Have’s Before you head home include Junior’s Cheesecake (1515 Broadway. Hours: Monday–Thursday: 6:30am–12am, Friday and Saturday: 6:30am – 1am, and Sunday: 6:30am – 11pm), Max Brenner Chocolate (841 Broadway. Hours: Monday-Thursday: 9am – 11pm, Friday and Saturday: 9am – 12am, and Sunday: 9am – 10pm), Slice of Pizza (Joe’s Pizza on 7 Carmine Street. Hours: Sunday – Thursday: 10am -4am, Friday and Saturday: 10am – 5am), Bagels (Ess-a-bagel on 831 3rd Avenue. Hours: Monday-Friday: 6am-9pm and Saturday-Sunday: 6am-5pm. Do yourself a favor and get the cinnamon raisin bagel with chocolate chip cream cheese. Soo good!), and Cake from Carlo’s Bakery (Location: 625 8th Avenue. Hours: Monday-Sunday 7am -Midnight. You may have to eat this one before you go!). Oh and don’t forget the white chocolate peanut butter cups. Apparently you can’t find those everywhere in the world.
*** Please note this Disclaimer: On my blog, I sometimes use affiliate links. I will always tell you and these links are only for items that I use and approve of. If you click an affiliate link and purchase that product or service, I will be paid a small commission but your cost will still; remain the same or less. I will always disclose this at the bottom of the post. This money goes towards keeping this site online. Note: We are a participant in an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to affiliated sites. If you found this website helpful, please support it!