25 Ways to Prepare your home for Vacation
April 6, 2017
Nobody wants to be Stressed Out on while they Travel, so Prepare your Home for Vacation
Before you travel, it’s always a good idea to prepare your home for vacation, in the same way that you would prepare yourself. Not only is home preparation a smart idea, but it prevents you from worrying about your home while you’re away.
No one wants to head out on their vacation and suddenly think, “Oh my God, is the oven still on?” Plus, once this thought enters your mind, you HAVE to go back and check the oven because otherwise, you will just have nightmares, about your house burning down, the entire vacation. I don’t know about you but, that doesn’t sound very relaxing to me. So, to better enjoy your travels, I have created this checklist of 25 ways to prepare your home for vacation. You already have enough stress in you life. No need to freak out about the well-being of you home while you’re away.
Make your home looked lived in so you don’t get any unwanted guests
1. Stop the newspaper and mail (or ask a neighbor to pick them up while you’re away)
2. Park your car inside the garage to prevent it from getting damaged.
3. Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway occasionally so that the house looks like it has some activity.
4. Put at least one light on a timer, so intruders think someone is home.
5. Make sure your lawn looks well maintained (an unkempt lawn is a signal to burgers that the house is unattended).
6. Reduce heat, but not so much that a pipe bursts in the winter (nobody wants frozen pipes)
How to avoid appliance breakdown while you’re away
7. Unplug small appliances and electronic devices in case of a power surge (make sure the oven is off/stove top burners).
8. Put the water heater on “vacation” mode.
9. Turn off water valves to the dishwasher, washing machine and all sinks.
Miscellaneous Things to Do
10. Notify your credit card company/ home security company that you’ll be away (nobody wants their card flagged because of a security issue).
11. Make sure your smoke detectors are working.
12. Leave emergency contact information with a neighbor in case something happens and you need to be notified.
13. Clean out your refrigerator and dispose of any food that will go bad while you are away.
14. Take out all the trash so that it does not stink and attract buts or animals of any kind.
15. Clean your garbage disposal with a half-cup of vinegar and water
16. Make arrangements for pet and plant care. If you hire a pet sitter, have them water your plants and pick up your mail as well (Aqua Globes are a great way to water your plants while you’re away).
17, Send out an itinerary and instructions for reaching you (This way you can be contacted in an emergency and family members will know to contact authorities if something happens to you).
18. Set up bill payment (No one wants to come back from a relaxing vacation to late fees and cancellation notices).
19. Limit grocery shopping, to essential items, right before your vacation so that food is not unnecessarily wasted.
20. Stock the freezer with two prepared meals so that you don’t have to go grocery shopping as soon as you get home.
Other Helpful Hints
21. Prearrange school absences for children (If you have them).
22. Make sure you have enough prescription medications for the duration of your trip.
23. Download books/movies/music onto your phone/tablet so that you have something to read, watch, or listen to while you are traveling.
24. Charge rechargeable batteries for all your electronic equipment.
25. Setup an away message for your work email and voicemail.