Looking for some of the BEST quotes about London? If so then you’ve come to the right place, my friend.
Because as an avid lover of all things London, I’ve been countless times and this beyond magical city somehow always leaves me wanting more.
And while I wish I could totally throw caution to the wind and move to this uber-fab capital city, my current financial situation (or lack thereof), kind of prohibits me from doing so.
Which is why I have to satisfy my ongoing London obsession with this super snazzy set of 100 quotes all about London – an expertly curated collection of London quotes that you could use anywhere you like, including in Instagram captions and in any London focused blog posts that you may want to write.
So, whatever you’re doing, stop right now, grab a spot of tea, chase it down with a fresh scone that is slathered with clotted cream and raspberry jam, and scroll through this bananas-level awesome post about 150+ best quotes about London.
PSST… don’t forget to read these epic quotes about Rome. You know, since you’re here anyway.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more information. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
If you’re booking a trip right now then I IMPLORE you to get travel insurance – even if it’s not from me.
After all, this past year has been a wild ride and I don’t want you to lose money because government regulations have changed.
Truth be told though, I’ve never traveled without travel insurance and don’t think you should either – especially since I think we’ve all had plans drastically change because of the pandemic.
Therefore, find an insurance agency that covers travel changes related to COVID-19, like my two all-time faves World Nomads and Safety Wing. You can also read more about which policy is right for you in my full review here.
Famous Quotes About London
Looking for some famous quotes about London? A wealth of expert verb-ology that perfectly expresses your undying love of all things London? If so then this section is for you!
Because here you’ll find 14 famous quotes about London that you’ll love and want to reuse over and over again.
1. “One of the the things I most liked about the city – apart from all its obvious attractions, the theatre, the galleries, the exhilarating walks by the river – was that so few people ever asked you personal questions.”– Julia Gregson
2. “You find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.” – Samuel Johnson
3. “London, thou art the flower of cities all! Gemme of all joy, jasper of jocunditie.” – William Dunbar
4. “The English language is like London: proudly barbaric yet deeply civilised, too, common yet royal, vulgar yet processional, sacred yet profane.” – Stephen Fry
5. “I like the spirit of this great London which I feel around me. Who but a coward would pass his whole life in hamlets, and forever abandon his faculties to the eating rust of obscurity?” – Charlotte Brontë
6. “It is not the walls that make the city, but the people who live within them. The walls of London may be battered, but the spirit of the Londoner stands resolute and undismayed.” -George VI
7. “The best bribe which London offers to-day to the imagination is, that, in such a vast variety of people and conditions, one can believe there is room for persons of romantic character to exist, and that the poet, the mystic, and the hero may hope to confront their counterparts.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “I had neither kith nor kin in England, and was therefore as free as air — or as free as an income of eleven shillings and sixpence a day will permit a man to be. Under such circumstances, I naturally gravitated to London, that great cesspool into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are irresistibly drained.” – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
9. “I’ve been walking about London for the last thirty years, and I find something fresh in it every day.”- Walter Besant
10. “London always reminds me of a brain. It is similarly convoluted and circuitous. A lot of cities, especially American ones like New York and Chicago, are laid out in straight lines. Like the circuits on computer chips, there are a lot of right angles in cities like this. But London is a glorious mess.” – James Geary
11. “It is difficult to speak adequately or justly of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or cheerful, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent.”- Henry James
12. “London goes beyond any boundary or convention. It contains every wish or word ever spoken, every action or gesture ever made, every harsh or noble statement ever expressed. It is illimitable. It is Infinite London.”– Peter Ackroyd
13. “In this city, 300 languages are spoken and the people that speak them live side by side in harmony. This city typifies what I believe is the future of the human race and a future where we grow together and we share and we learn from each other.” – Ken Livingstone
14. “London is a cluster of communities, great and small, famous and unsung; a city of contrasts, a congregation of diversity.” – Roy Porter
Short Quotes About London
Want some quotes about London that are short, sweet, and to the point? If so then say hello to your new best friend…this beyond epic section containg 12 of the best short quotes about London.
Yeah, I like to use these when I’m on “the gram”, need a quick caption, and have absolutely no idea what to say.
Because contrary to popular belief, I am really NOT all that clever. Okay, maybe nobody actually thinks that but I felt like I should just say it anyway.
15. “London is a modern Babylon.” – Benjamin Disraeli
16. “I think London’s sexy because it’s so full of eccentrics.” – Rachel Weisz
17. “London like you.”
18. “Cheaper by the London.”
19. “By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show.” – Samuel Johnson
20. “London is the epitome of our times, and the Rome of today.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
21. “London is a roost for every bird.”– Benjamin Disraeli
22. “Fragmentarily the City is nothing, but collectively it is gigantic…” – Charlotte Riddell
23. “New York has a great energy, but London is better.”– Jaime Winstone (I strongly disagree as a native New Yorker. #justsayin’)
24. “The parks be the lungs of London.”– Charles Dickens
25. “To walk alone in London is the greatest rest.”– Virginia Woolf
26. “London’s greatest strength is our diversity.”– Sadiq Khan
London Instagram Captions
Instagram captions, Instagram captions, and more Instagram captions of the London variety.
Because in spite of what you tell yourself, you really can’t stay away from the gram.
Plus, after posting every day for two consecutive years, you run out of things to say and really just want someone to hand you some wicked awesome London instagram captions that are ready to go.
Or is that just me? You know what, don’t answer that.
27. “London calling!”
28. “How bad of a day can one really have in this amazing city?”
29. “Keep calm and carry on? No, just go to London.”
30. ‘There’s nowhere else like London. Nothing at all, anywhere.’ – Vivienne Westwood
“In London everyone is different, and that means anyone can fit in.” – Paddington Bear
31. “Where has Big Bae been all my life?”
32. “You are the fish to my chips.”
33. “London is calling, and I must go.”
34. “It’s always tea time in London.”
35. “When in London, walk the steps of the Beatles (Abbey Road).”
36. “Studying abroad at Hogwarts (Platform 9 3/4).”
37. “Relationship status: crushing on Big Ben”
38. “Never met a scone I didn’t like.”
39. “Feeling like a Queen in London.”
40. “London, baby.”
41. “From London with love.”
42. “Keep calm and visit London.”
43. “Falling hard for London.”
44. “Winning at life in London.”
45. “A bad day in London is still better than a good day anywhere else.”
46. “When in doubt, follow your heart to London.”
47. “Relationship Status: Crushing on London.”
48. “You know, I do love a London boy.”
49. “I love London with my whole heart.”
50. “London, my one true love.”
51. “London: I am in love.”
52. “I have found my one true soulmate and it is London.”
53. “There’s no time for boredom in London.”
55. “Money can’t buy you happiness, but it sure can buy you a ticket to London.”
56. “London is calling and, so, I must go and heed that call.”
57. “In London, everyone is different, and that means everyone can fit in.”
58. “Up in the clouds, on my way to London.”
59. “Live. Love. London.”
60. “Serving up something fierce in London.”
61. “Finding Mary Poppins in London town.”
62. “Let’s cross that London Bridge when we come to it.”
63. “Worry less, visit London more.”
64. “London’s calling…sound the alarm.”
65. “Visit the city of London, and find yourself at the top of the world.”
66. “I love you all the way to London and back.”
67. “Talk British to me.”
68. “I’m all about the stellar views.”
69. “I love you to the top of the London Eye and back.”
Funny London Quotes for Instagram
It’s at times like these that I for one could use a hella good laugh. And these funny quotes about London will do just that.
They will result in a wealth of deep gutteral laughs that will leave innocent passersby wondering, “what the hell is that person smoking?”
Okay, yeah. I can’t actually guarantee that but you should defintiely read, laugh at, and then fall in love with all of these funny London quotes for Instagram.
70. “The man who can dominate a London dinner-table can dominate the world.” – Oscar Wilde
71. “The best thing about the London Eye is the journey. It’s not like the Eiffel tower, where you get in a dark lift and come out onto a platform at the top. The trip round is as important as the view.” – Julia Barfield
72. “Keep calm and go to London.” – Unknown
73. “Nothing is certain in London but expense.” – William Shenstone
74. “If London is a watercolor, New York is an oil painting.” – Peter Shaffer (one of my fave quotes about NYC and London)
75. “There are two places in the world where men can most effectively disappear — the city of London and the South Seas.” – Herman Melville
76. “I don’t know what London’s coming to — the higher the buildings the lower the morals.” – Noël Coward
77. “Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking-Poppins. London!” – Dennis Farina
78. “The truth is, that in London it is always a sickly season. Nobody is healthy in London, nobody can be.” – Jane Austen
79. “Oh, I love London Society! It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.” –Oscar Wilde
80. “Look, a clock. We don’t have that in America.” – Ron Swanson in Parks and Recreation
81. “A person who is tired of London is not necessarily tired of life; it might be that he just can’t find a parking place.”– Paul Theroux
82. “In London, love and scandal are considered the best sweeteners of tea.”– John Osborne
83. “London is a bad habit one hates to lose.”– William Sansom
84. “Enjoying the bird’s eye view from the London Eye.”
London Poems and Songs
Ready to get all lyrical up in here and whisper sweet, sweet nothings about all things London? If so then take a look at these quotes about London right here!
And as the section title suggests, these wickedly wonderful turns of phrase are from a variety of different poems and songs that are all about London.
85. “A mighty mass of brick, and smoke, and shipping, / Dirty and dusty, but as wide as eye / Could reach, with here and there a sail just skipping / In sight, then lost amidst the forestry / Of masts; a wilderness of steeples peeping / On tiptoe through their sea-coal canopy; / A huge, dun cupola, like a foolscap crown / On a fool’s head – and there is London Town.” – Lord Byron
86. “You are now / In London, that great sea, whose ebb and flow / At once is deaf and loud, and on the shore / Vomits its wrecks, and still howls on for more / Yet in its depth what treasures!” – P.B. Shelley
87. “There’s a hole in the world / Like a great black pit / And the vermin of the world / Inhabit it / And it goes by the name of London.” –Stephen Sondheim
88. “London, London, London town / You can toughen up or get thrown around.” – Kano
89. “Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner / That I love London so / Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner / That I think of her wherever I go / I get a funny feeling inside of me / Just walking up and down / Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner / That I love London town.” -Hubert Gregg
90. “Love, it is another London Eye. It keeps rotating your emotions and feelings. Maybe our heart is the axis of that rotation.”
91. “How to relish our lives ups and downs is something that the London Eye can teach every soul.”
92. “If you need me, find me near to the sky, at the highest seat of the London Eye.”
93. “Yes, every second of yours have the same capacity. One minute you are at the bottom; in the next, you touch the heights of the sky. Stay in your seat and enjoy your ride up to the top.”
Anyone else out there love a slightly awful, super cheesy pun? Because you know your beyond nerdy girl over here at Girl with the Passport is all about a beyond lame pun!
And the only thing better than a super rediculous pun is one about London. You know, so that you can let your nerd flag fly free is those EPIC Instagram captions of yours.
So, if you’re in the market for the uber-cheesy London pun of your dreams, then this section is for you!
94. “This little piggy went to Camden Market.”
95. “Visiting Buckingham Palace, but I’m having a bad heir day.”
96. “The traffic in London is like a Piccadilly Circus“
97. “A baker’s London.”
98. “Happy to leave the Tower of London with my head still on!”
99. “The curious case of Benjamin London.”
100. “I cannot be Thamed.”
101. “Having the best Thames in London.”
102. “Let’s cross the Tower Bridge when we get to it.”
103. “Where have you Ben all my life?”
104. “Don’t be alarmed, I’m just visiting Big Ben!”
105. “Enjoying hour day at Big Ben.”
106. “Keeping my London Eye on the prize.”
106. “Sticks and scones may break my bones…”
107. “What a brew-tiful day!”
108. “In winter, London makes a great frost impression.”
109. “I tried to grab a pic of London fog, but I mist.”
110. “Trying to make our way around London, but we don’t have the foggiest idea where we are!”
111. “The fog was so thick we mist our tour.”
112. “50 Shades of Earl Grey.”
113. “Eye spy the London Eye.”
114. “Eye always see you.”
115. “Eye came, Eye saw, Eye conquered.”
116. “London, Eye am a big fan.”
London Travel Quotes
When I can’t just buy an airplane ticket and hop on the next flight to London, I like to read these epic London travel quotes instead.
This way, I’m reminded of just how God awful the weather is and then I don;t miss London quite so much!
Kidding BTW! The weather isn’t stellar but I could never NOT miss London. Which is why I always have this awesome London packing list forever at the ready.
So, if you find yourself missing London almost as much as I do, or just want to create a super smart-sounding London Instagram caption, then swan dive into this section of awesome.
117. “I came to London. It had become the center of my world and I had worked hard to come to it. And I was lost.” – V. S. Naipaul
118. “Channeling my inner royal at Buckingham Palace.”
119. “My Dad says that being a Londoner has nothing to do with where you’re born. He says that there are people who get off a jumbo jet at Heathrow, go through immigration waving any kind of passport, hop on the tube and by the time the train’s pulled into Piccadilly Circus they’ve become a Londoner.”– Ben Aaronovitch
120. “Feeling like queen for the day at Buckingham Palace.”
121. “In London living like royals.”
122. “London opens to you like a novel itself… It is divided into chapters, the chapters into scenes, the scenes into sentences; it opens to you like a series of rooms, doors and passages. Mayfair to Piccadilly to Soho to the Strand.”– Anna Quindlen
123. “When exploring London, you will come across lots of excitement by chance, so try to take everything in rather than just rushing around to all of the major tourist haunts.”– Richard Branson
124. “Yes, I’m a queen. Thanks for asking.”
125. “What’s up, MTV. Welcome to my palace.”
126. “Rockin’ my crown over here in London.”
127. “The vibe of London as a city is captivating. It’s both fast-paced and extremely rushed but still has the calmness that would attract any big-city person.”– Ali Fazal
128. “Aesthetically, London is just beautiful; it’s a gorgeous city. The architecture, monuments, the parks, the small streets – it’s an incredible place to be” – Sara Bareilles
129. “I went to London because, for me, it was the home of literature. I went there because of Dickens and Shakespeare.” – Ben Okri
130. “I long to go through the crowded streets of your mighty London, to be in the midst of the whirl and rush of humanity, to share its life, its change, its death, and all that makes it what it is.” – Dracula
131. “It is my belief, Watson, founded upon my experience, that the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.” – Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
132. “How can you ever be late for anything in London? They have a huge clock right in the middle of the town.” – Jimmy Kimmel
133. “London has always been a warren underground, and Pall Mall is no exception: secret passageways, Tube tunnels, sewers, cellars, more of London under- than above-ground.” – Author: Lavie Tidhar
134. “London created the Underground, and the Underground created London.” – John Lanchester
135. “London underground took me on a tour of all the hidden places, the disused shafts and staircases … that was very interesting.” – Ruth Rendell
136. “Even if I could, I wouldn’t. Scars can come in handy. I have one myself above my left knee that is a perfect map of the London Underground. – J.K. Rowling
137. “Harry had never been to London before. Although Hagrid seemed to know where he was going, he was obviously not used to getting there in an ordinary way. He got stuck in the ticket barrier on the Underground, and complained loudly that the seats were too small and the trains too slow.” – J.K. Rowling
138. “The Thames is no ordinary waterway, it is the golden thread of our nation’s history.” – Winston Churchill
139. “She’s got a ticket to ride.” – The Beatles, “Ticket To Ride”
140. “The Thames is liquid history.” – John Burns
141. “I have admired the romantic elegance of the Place de la Concorde in Paris, have felt the mystic message from a thousand glittering windows at sunset in New York, but to me the view of the London Thames from our hotel window transcends them all for utilitarian grandeur – something deeply human.” – Charlie Chaplin
142. “Twenty bridges from Tower to Kew – Wanted to know what the River knew, Twenty Bridges or twenty-two, For they were young, and the Thames was old. And this is the tale that River told” – Rudyard Kipling
143. “Tea’s proper use is to amuse the idle, and relax the studious, and dilute the full meals of those who cannot exercise, and will not use abstinence.” – Samuel Johnson
144. “The British never seem to do anything until they’ve had a cup of tea, by which time it’s too late.” – Lauren Bacall, Northwest Frontier
145. “Yes, that’s it! Said the Hatter with a sigh, it’s always tea time.” – Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
146. “Tea is the elixir of life.” – Eisai, Kissa Yojoki
147. “Life is like a cup of tea. It’s all in how you make it.”
148. “Ecstasy is a glass full of tea and a piece of sugar in the mouth.” – Alexander Pushkin
149. “Tea is always a good idea.”
150. “You’ll never find a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.” – Winston Churchill
151. “In London, love and scandal are considered the best sweeteners of tea.” – John Osborne
Other Quotes Resources You’ll Love
- Best quotes about Alaska
- 150 Amazing Quotes about the Sea
- Best Brunch Places in London
- Best London Instagram Captions